Can Twitter Help With SEO?
Whatever search engines do, they have the singular purpose of trying to deliver to – Internet Searchers – the best information for their queries. Hence, if any website content is very well featured in social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or others, search engines will start ranking such website content higher and higher in their search engine result pages. This is especially true of content that is shared by real people, whose Web / Blog sites are considered by search engines to have authority.
Hence, the greater the quantity and quality of Tweets that link back to a website page the more such a website page will rise within search engine result pages, until perhaps the web page reaches the rank one the first result page returned by the search engine.
Tweet Text Content
When a link is tweeted, this is normally some content around it. Search engines will use this text to figure out what the link is all about. Search engines do this for to anchor text associated with links on web pages. Hence, by the careful choice / insertion of Keywords within the Tweet text the linked page rank can be push upwards.
The Value Of Your Twitter Followers
Your Twitter followers matter to search engines. Obviously if any of your Twitter followers, have been accepted as authoritative by search engines ( i.e. the number of their followers, the quality of their followers ) and they tweet about you, or retweet your tweets, search engines will be happy to flow some of their authority weightage to the link contained in their tweets or re-tweet ( i.e. your tweet ), hence by projection flow authority to the web page contained in their tweet or re-tweet.
Google and Bing, ( as with most other search engines ), look at the author’s authority value to the Internet domain when evaluating the value of the links that appear in tweets. While no search engine broadcasts exactly how they determine author authority value to the Internet domain, here are some pointers made by authoritative SEO experts:
- Always use an Avatar or a Portrait. Spammers rarely do.
- Ensure that the account creation system has verification built in.
i.e. Account creators have confirmed their Email address by clicking a link in an Email dispatched to them Twitter registers such information. While normal Twitter subscribers cannot – See – such information, there is evidence that suggests that search engines may be able to access such information.
- Get as many followers as is possible
- Get good Quality followers
( i.e. People who follow you for a good reason – NOT purchased followers )
- Let there be a higher Ratio of followers to following
- As far as possible let the Tweeters URL be different from the URL being tweeted about. This seems to prove that self-promotion is not being indulged in.
- Quite a few spam accounts on Twitter have numbers in their account handles. Ensure that yours does not.
- Complete your bio-information with clear / useful details
- Engage with those whose Tweets appear on your Twitter page. If you never ever – Thank or reply to any of the Tweets on your Twitter home page your account seems spammy.
- Try and get included in lists created by quality tweeple.
- Check the PageRank of your Twitter profile, better the page rank better will be your authority level in search engines.
The idea of author quality is similar to that of search engine – Page Rank – for web pages. For example if a webpage has 100 back links to it, for 100 web pages whose page rank is 0, it is similar to having a single back link to the webpage from another webpage having a page rank of 5 or 7.
By projection, if a single Tweeter with authority tweets about a webpage using its URL or re-tweets a tweet which has a URL contained within, this will great for your reputation than 100 non authoritative Tweeters tweeting about you or re-tweeting your tweets.
What is worth keeping focused on is that using cheap labor to create a ton of Twitter accounts, then tweet links to your website is really a complete waste of time and money. Search engines quickly cotton on to this, hence there is zero SEO benefit and there is a very high possibility of being labeled as the cause of Twitter spam.
Do help prevent spammy Twitter accounts from growing by clicking on – Report [ user name ] for spam – when you notice such accounts.
The Best Way To Encourage Re-Tweets And Links.
- Create impeccable content. People will automatically want to share such content.
- Make it as simple as possible for a site visitor to tweet your content. Do use a Twitter button, so that people can share a link to your website content.
- Engage with your followers, reply to interesting Tweets with comments or a thank you.
- Attract new, quality followers by ensuring high quality content on your website.
- Thank all those who link to you.
- Thank all those who have mentioned your content in their Tweets.